Sunday, November 13, 2011

Rediscovering Racing


So the 5k didn't go like I thought or hoped it would, but it wasn't that bad of a showing.

The results list me as running 16:09, but the course was clearly long. I hit the miles at 4:55, 10:10(5:15), & 15:20(5:10) and sure as hell didn't run ~40 seconds for my last 0.102 miles. They had the finish further away than they had the start line so it would finish in a parking lot rather than on a narrow footpath. I cooled down by running the course again with my Garmin, and based on the 5k finish I saw and the difference in the length of the course, I hit 5k around 15:45-15:50, so that's what I'm taking away from this race as a time.

Neurotic tendencies aside, a few things of note from the day -

1 - Ran alone the whole time, 2nd place was something like 17:20

2 - Turns. There were three 180 degree turns, and about four or five 90 degree turns. There were really only two real spots where I could stretch out for over 400m. The picture I added gives credence to this, it basically snaked along this walkway the entire time. It was flat as I could've asked for, so no complaints there.

3 - Man, I forgot to race it in the middle. I got complacent with pace and didn't push as much as I should have. It felt super super short. It hurt at the end, but more of a tempo hurt than a real race. The most important aspect of racing well is really knowing how to push yourself, so that your time IS what you're capable of running, and not what you're capable of running using 85% of your energy.


With all of these excuses and analysis of the day in mind, I set out for my Sunday long run.

I clipped along easily, tight but not overly tired by any degree.

I ran 14.5 miles at 6:37 pace for my normal 'slow' run, and that tells me all I really need to know about the day -

That I didn't push it 100%, that even a pace just north of 5min feels hot, and that my base is fantastic.

By the time track rolls around I'll be itching to strap spikes on and go for a tear on the Track, even if I have to work my way down from 28sec 200s to do it.


Edit: Purdy puts 15:48 as equal to a 26:06, which I'm fine with effort wise. Hopefully when thanksgiving rolls around I can get my legs under me, work with competition, and bang out a real fast time.

Shout out to all my teammates who just got an At-Large bid for NCAAs XC!! You had me worried there for a second but I never doubted you. I'll be watching come next Saturday.

1 comment: