Thursday, November 10, 2011

Questions on Questions

I don't really know how fit I am.


It's been months of lonely base work with a couple more to go. I've been putting in the miles and occasional workout and can feel myself getting stronger, but I don't really know exactly how much stronger. I haven't raced since the 4th of July.


On Saturday, I'm hopping in a local 5k, and on Thanksgiving I've got a very competitive 8k lined up. The 5k is more of a reintroduction to racing after nearly half a year without it, which will make the 8k a better metric a couple weeks later.

The thing is - I have no idea how fast I'm prepared to run.


Oh, I have a general sense. I've split 16:0x through 5k for 8k, so I assume I can run faster than that. I've been running 72/73s for 1k repeats fairly easily when I do it with other people, but 72/73 for a 5k is right around 15flat for a 5k. Am I that fit? The last (& only) time I ran that fast was when I ran a downhill rip off of a 5k.

What about 8k? How close can I get to 25:10? 25:00? 24:50? I honestly don't know.


And it's pretty exciting.


For someone who is constantly measuring themselves with test efforts year round, having a dry spell of this length is like having a fresh start.

And what could be better than that?

1 comment:

  1. If you break 25 sutter is going to kill you. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete