Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Story of 2nd Place

It's an interesting thing when people from other schools know your name. It validates what you're doing when you're getting into it. As a sophomore in high school, I ran a 4:38 first meet of the season and all of the sudden my name was on the district-wide performance list, and I was put into conversations with people whose names I knew.

I ended my sophomore year as a 4:28 miler, but as 'only' the 3rd fastest miler of my class in my district.

Throughout the rest of my high school experience, I was the Chris Brown, the Nate Brannen, the Kevin Sullivan, the Chris Lukezic of the 800/Mile.


In short - I was the guy who always made the final, but was never in the conversation to win.


Oh sure, I'd pick up an upset 3rd or even 2nd here and there, and I'd always be in the conversation as someone's Dark Horse or potential spoiler, but not as the popular pick to win.

I guess this has fueled me as much as anything. As I've worked harder, I've caught up to and surpassed some of these rivals of old, which turns around to make me push harder.

MY DIIIRunner's Experience is a personal story of a 5th ranked guy that shouldn't have gotten 3rd, the personal struggle of the almost-but-not-quite-talented-enough guy doing everything he can to reach that next level, to run those times he shouldn't have been able to run, and more than anything to beat those guys who simply just don't lose.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts Quinn. You are one of the hardest workers I know. And I have faith that you will get there...because you just want it THAT BADLY. Can't wait until you come back to Cali!

    ReplyDelete