Friday, June 3, 2011

DIII Difference

The thing you always hear with DIII Runners is "You know, I really enjoy running, I just didn't want to go to a DI school and have it consume my life."

Well, I'm sort of living that for the next 8 months. I'm in shiny, fast paced, and abhorrently humid Washington D.C. until December 15th-ish, back home in August for a brief stint before heading to Hawaii for family vacation, then back to D.C.

Essentially, my life is humid (<-new website?). This is new. I don't like it.

I'm missing Cross Country in the Fall, but I justify it to myself by saying that I need the extended period of base because I lack true strength. This may actually be true. We'll see.

The Fall will be far less humid (I'm told), simply just cold, but I can deal with cold.

But I digress.

The point is, neither running nor schooling is the prime focus until deep winter, which hasn't happened for a number of years. If I have to work through my run, or go to an event that goes through a planned running time, its....its okay. It hurts to say, but it's true.

I have months and months and months and months....a day or two here and there won't hurt, as long as I keep it at a day or two and don't spiral downward into the also-abroad faction that comes back to track season completely out of shape and overweight.

Though I'm putting running aside in terms of immediate importance, it still carries a large weight. My run WILL get done. I WILL race. It just won't be with a team, and it'll be just that - running.

The grueling workouts, the 530am wake-up call, the stretching California hills, the sound of 20 other pairs of feet next to mine, that will all be put on hiatus as I jump start my professional life.

And that hiatus, to me, is the DIII Difference.

DI waits for nothing, DIII waits for me. It just depends on how much I want it when I come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment