Monday, May 2, 2011

Prelims, year 2

Despite my incessant requests, I was put in the 1500m instead of the 800m for the conference meet, despite really only running it once (a week ago). I ran a 4:01 training through, which threw me up at 6th on the conference lists, one the guys ahead of me is a 5k+ guy so he won't be running it. For all intents and purposes I sit at 5th.

Luckily for me, the 1500m is far weaker (depth wise) than the 800m, so making finals won't be overly difficult, it's just scoring better than 5th over 4 people who are 3+ seconds ahead of me, while simultaneously watching my ass for the 2 guys less than a second behind me.

On the line, I'm nervous. Really nervous.

I know I will likely qualify, but I still am afraid I'll mess up somehow. Step on a rail, get outkicked, make some sort of blundering mistake.

In finals, I never have these thoughts, it's just in prelims. It's just in races where to not qualify means that I have to screw up.

The gun signifies a literal walk from the line. We go through the first lap in a 74. 7.4. What's going on, that's unheard of.

The leader starts to roll back the pace - slowly. We go through 800m in 2:20. A 66, still a joke.

With 400m to go, there are 6 guy still in contention. Top4 auto qualify

If the pack is still tight with 300m to go, my coaches words echo in my head
surge so that you don't have to rely on your kick which will tire you out for tomorrow

I fly around my teammates on the bed, pointing at my chest as I go by, signaling to them in frantic bursts of words ME, ME, ON ME

Our stronger guy is doubling back, and I would rather be the one to push the pace than have him do the work. We come through the 3rd lap in 3:22, a 62 for the 3rd lap, and yet the group is still there.

I push down the back stretch and around the turn. With 100m to go, there are 4 of us separated from the rest, two of my teammates alongside me as we stroll into the finish.

Check back is someone there? close but not that close. slow down. slow down. too much, taper, taper

And the oddest 4:10 I've ever run is done, and I'm into the final.

1 comment:

  1. Dude,

    Exercise tip: "Tata!" or "Hurrah!" or "


    best of luck, see you out there,
    xx, team the man VI

    ReplyDelete