Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Laziness....

I'm still fighting a sickness, and today we did a very tough track workout with little recovery, and it was astronomically hard. Didn't run as well as I would like, and cooled down, did plyos and headed straight back to my dorm.

Now, I live on the 3rd floor of my Dorm. There are 8 floors in total, and there's approximately 25 stairs that separate me from my floor, and about 9 more steps that separate the stairwell from my specific room.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I took the stairs. I think I was late for class. And I think I immediately regretted it.

"Quinn don't you, like, run track? harhar"

^most frequently spoken words whenever I'm in the elevator. Joking aside, this happens about 1.7 times a day. Yes that is an estimate. Spare me.

If you were to follow around or attach something to two people and measure their physical activity in a day, lets say to A) a runner and B) an uppidy teenage girl, you would find interesting results.

On second thought, don't do that study. I'll tell you what would happen:

A) The runner's average walking speed would be 2-4mph slower than the uppidy teenager.

B) In a single week, the uppidy teenager would ascend about 16x more stairs than the runner.

C) The amount of time spent sitting would be 2-3x greater in a runner than in the uppidy girl.

D) As the uppidy teen approaches stairs, she will lean forward and BOUND HER WAY UP OH JOY ITS AN EXHILARATION! The runner would sigh, look for another way to get around the stairs, and mumble profanities as he/she took the stairs one turtley-step at a time, maybe even sideways to preserve the quad or calf muscle.

Also, runners would stretch. EVERYWHERE. In class, on stairs, while walking, while eating, while playing pool, while IN a pool, while doing homework, while typing a blog, EVERYWHERE.

We run, we're tired. Why would I climb a single stair when I know I have either done or will do a hard 10-miler that day? Why would I spend an iota more energy than I have to? I'm tired. Stop asking me questions. I feel like a crochety old man, and mrs. congeniality doesn't help my morose mood after I run like crap.

I may be a little harsh here, but those thoughts go through all runners heads when being made fun of for "laziness." Can I help it if my first thought is "BITCH GET ON MY LEVEL" ?

But no, I'll smile and chuckle (mostly because you're hot), and slump down in my chair or bed and nap.

My first class every day is about 500m away.

And it takes me 10min to walk there.

I'm just enjoying the view, I swear.

1 comment:

  1. ") The runner's average walking speed would be 2-4mph slower than the uppidy teenager."

    Man, either you're walking backwards or that bitch is a speed walking champion.

    ReplyDelete